Periodontal (gum) disease could lead to tooth, bone and gum loss if you don't receive prompt treatment from your Jacksonville, NC, dentist, Dr. Jose Arauz. Unfortunately, the signs of gum disease can be subtle and easy to overlook.
Do you know the signs of periodontal disease?
If you have gum disease, you may have one or more of these symptoms:
- Bleeding Gums: Bleeding when you brush or floss your teeth could be a sign that you have gingivitis, the mildest form of gum disease. Contrary to popular belief, bleeding isn't normal and may indicate a problem with your gums.
- Bad Breath: When you eat a hot dog laden with onions or snack on pickled herring, your breath is bound to smell bad. Fortunately, brushing and flossing your teeth can improve your breath odor in most cases. If you continue to have bad breath, no matter how often you brush, floss and use breath mints, gum disease might be the cause.
- Sore Gums: If your gums are sore, puffy and red, gum disease may be the reason. Give the Jacksonville dental office a call if you notice these symptoms.
- Receding Gums: Receding gums may make your teeth look a little longer and cause pain when you eat or drink hot, cold or sugary foods and drinks.
- Painful Teeth: Tooth pain isn't always caused by cavities. If you have gum disease, pain when chewing could be related to your sore, inflamed gums.
- Pockets Around Your Teeth: Have you noticed that your gums have begun to pull away from your teeth? The deep spaces around the teeth are called pockets and are a sign of advanced gum disease. The pockets fill with debris and bacteria and tend to be smelly and painful.
- Loose Teeth or Dentures: Gum disease attacks your gums and the bones and ligaments that hold your teeth firmly in place. If you have bone or tissue loss, your teeth may begin to shift, causing a change in your bite. (Your bite is the way your upper and lower teeth fit together.) You may also notice that your teeth or dentures are loose.)
Do any of these periodontal disease signs and symptoms sound familiar? Call your dentist in Jacksonville, NC, Dr. Jose Arauz, at (910) 577-1315 to schedule an appointment.